- VILLATICO'S VILLAGE & THE MILLS ROUTE -
Perhaps not many people know that in Villatico (Colico - Lecco), as many as 12 mills were operating in the past centuries. Their large wheels were moved by the water channeled into the "Roggia Molinaria" and operated other simple machines that allowed them to beat or "fuller" fabrics and above all grind grain. Going down from the Févra water, there are visible sections of canalization with expertly connected stones, pillars that still support channels in stone slabs that convey the water on the wheels of the mills. In the space of a few decades the presence of these ingenious and ecological machines has been (almost) erased which, using clean and renewable energy, have allowed the local communities to live for almost a millennium.
The first dates back to 1239. A two-wheel mill or molestino is documented as early as 1627 and stood near the church and the wash house. This three-storey rural building, housed on the ground floor the millstone, driven by the movement of the large wheel, moved by the water that fell from the inclined plane. The canals and manhole covers are still visible, which allowed to regulate or interrupt the flow of water.
Now, almost 60 years after the last mill was closed, together Molino Maufet, Molino Murgana, Molino Seregni, Molino Secrista and Latteria di Villatico (Colico - Lecco - Como Lake) reopened a chapter of important local historical evidence ...
It is possible to visit the ancient and suggestive village of mills choosing between two itineraries, both suitable for adults and children and well marked:
1. Direct route between Mills (1.5 km one way + 1.5 km return; total height difference + 200m / -200m - Follow brown tourist road signs - part is unpaved). Church of San Bernardino -> Mill Secrista -> Latteria di Villatico -> Mill Maufet -> Mill Seregni -> Mill Murgana;
2. Molini CAI Circle Trail (1.5 km one way + 1.5 km return; total climb + 200m / -200m - Follow the CAI "Anello Molini" signposts - almost entirely unpaved). Church of San Bernardino -> Mill Secrista -> Latteria di Villatico -> Mill Maufet -> Circle Trail "Anello Molini" CAI -> Ancient "Cappelletta Votiva" -> Mill Murgana -> Mill Seregni -> back.
NB. Mills can also be visited indoors upon availability of the owners and booking (email@example.com or +39 366 7404948). Both routes as indicated are suitable for everyone, but for strollers only in the sections Church of San Bernardino - Molino Maufet. Alternatively from the Molino Maufet you can reach the other Molini by walking along the Via Fontanedo or by car following the brown tourist road signs.
A pic-nic area is available with tables and water in Robustello, in front of the Molino Murgana.
NB. From Mill Murgana it is possible to continue and reach in a few minutes the suggestive ancient village of Fontanedo, first settlement of Colico, following the indications CAI "Anello di Fontanedo". Since June 2019 is also possible visit the ancient and panoramic Torre di Fontanedo that has just been restored and managed by the Museo della Guerra Bianca (Forte Montecchio Nord and Forte di Fuentes). It is a beautiful medieval tower built in 1357 by Barnabò Visconti which helped to alert the local populations of the possible invasions from the lake and from the ground. It was redeveloped during the period of the Spanish domination remaining active until the XVIIIth Century in the defensive complex that was headed to Fuentes.
OPENING: 10am - 6pm. The Tower is open on weekends from March to November and on national holidays (Easter, Easter Monday, April 25, May 1, June 2, August 15) as well as all the days of July and August. The cost of the visit is 3 euros for adults and 2 for children aged 6 to 14; free for residents in Colico (with identity card).
© 2017 by Molino Maufet